Thursday, July 20, 2017

Day 2 of Heat Wave....OMG...how are people sitting out on the beach in this?

I walked to work this morning and by the time I arrived I needed another bath...honestly you would think this would be a weight reduction plan for me, but so is not.  Thrilled to be in Salty Yarns in the a/c.  We have all heard the power of social media, but we actually saw it first hand yesterday.  Sara and I had a  miscommunication when I spoke with her regarding a knitted shawl in the shop and what yarns were used.  (I'm not as familiar with the knitting section so I always ask Sara).  The customer purchased the yarns along with a great many other things and when Sara came to work I was still so uncertain about the yarn I asked her again.  We realized we(O.K.me, but I'm making Sara take the hit since she hasn't labeled a damn thing)  had sold the wrong yarn to the customer.  Thankfully the customer has been in the store every year when she's here on vacation, however we didn't have a phone number or e-mail so Sara posted a plea on Facebook asked anyone who knew her to please reach out and ask her to get in touch with us.  The customer was in this morning...she got a call from a co-worker from about 8 years ago.  Needless to say I was greatly relieved to get her the correct yarn and amazed it turned out so well.  Still not a fan of all the crap on social media...too much info on people that no one should have..Facebook certainly serves a purpose.  Last night when I finally got home from my shift, sat on the sofa, laid my head back for a little nap when the damn phone buzzed to let me know I had a message.  I checked and it was Michael, at work. asking me to bring him his shoes (he got new shoes while I was at work so he immediately changed into his new shoes leaving his other work shoes in the shop).  So I headed back to the shop to get the shoes and get them to him, got back home, found a parking space again (which is incredibly hard in the summer which is why I normally walk to work) and got back into the apartment and a/c, sat back on the sofa and started to nod off and about 15 min. later the phone rang and it was Michael asking me to pick him up.  While I'd love to have that shift...about 30 min since he got to work..this meant leaving my parking spot again.  But it's Michael so there's no question....I went and got him.  When I got home after that my parking spot was gone but I did find the last one on the street by my house so I parked,  went back in to the apartment and then took a nap...no stitching.  I woke up around 1 and tried to stitch a little but after finishing one motif I went back to sleep because today is my 10 hour day...shop and then hotel so I knew I'd need more rest.  It's killing me I'm losing stitching time, but family first!  Brian got an MRI and he needs surgery so we are in crisis mode for the summer.  What could go wrong?  God help us!  Anyway, I wanted to show you a finish I had which I never posted because I changed several things including the verse because I was stitching this for a gift.  This design came mostly from Plum Street "Mariner's Drum" which I feel in love with.  I experienced a few difficulties (of my own making) so had to change the top from a stitched piece to wool, but that was alright with me.  Let me point out a couple of things that really impressed me with this design.  The  band around the drum was fully designed, no blank areas, it had the sand on the bottom of the scene as you would have in the water and the anchor you see on the first picture...that chain extended onto the top which had a ship on it....little details mean so much.  And the mermaid's mirror...the mirrors usually appear on stitching with just grey or silver as the mirror, but this one has the mermaid's image on it (done over 1)...and while you may not realize it at first I find thats the kind of detail I appreciate.  This also allowed me to add some little embellishments.  At first I was looking for tiny shells to add, but then Sara brought up the smallest starfish I'd ever seen and in perfect condition (while I added 3, you can see one on the 4th picture at the bottom)  and the tiny seahorse....OMG, needless to say I attached starfish and the seahorse to the piece.  Then I beaded pearl beads I had and made a necklace which you can see in picture 5 coming out of the treasure chest.  I have to confess I did change the face of the mermaid so it was more rounded.  Then the verse I changed to "Remember me when this you see, forever friends we will be."   When I could see I was having some difficulty with the top I changed it to the wool, went down to the shell shop and found the perfect real sanddollar that was the perfect size  and attached it to the top.  Please know there was nothing wrong with the verse originally on this piece, but I was trying to customize it for my friend.  This is a fabulous design and a wonderful stitch.  I plan to stitch it again as charted.






Well, I suppose I should be getting back to work.  I'm trying to get all our yarns on the web site....UGH!  This is a necessity but more like work so of course I'm not having any fun at all.  Perhaps while Sara's not around I'll sneak in some stitching.  I have the July 31st deadline quickly approching...got a project that must be done.  Talk to you later.  Have a great weekend.  

No comments: