Thursday, July 4, 2013

The end to another beautiful week.....and now we're heading to the 4th....

Happy July 4th everyone...it's hot, sunny and crowded down here so if you are enjoying a lazy day in the peace and quiet of your own backyard....you may be better off.  The water is invisible to me because of the haze hanging over it, but I suppose with it so darn hot down here it must be refreshing to one and all.  I'll have to take their word for that since I haven't been in the ocean in about 49 years...  I'm thrilled to be inside in a/c today and yesterday I actually got a day off, yes right here in the summer I got a full day off.  I had every intention of going to Salisbury to get some framed stuff that's been lingering at the framers, however, I never actually got out of my nightgown so decided if I didn't want to get dressed it was best if I stayed home.  I sat on my porch in my nightgown (felt decadent) and read the rest of my latest book...yes another one down...and just enjoyed the peace and quiet.  When I came in I did needlework.  I'm enjoying the latest Shepherd's Bush "Gratitude Sampler" and am almost done with the second scene.  There sure is a whole lot of stitching on this sampler, but I love, love, love it.  I actually leave this home each day.  The other night, while at work, I started stitching Little House Needleworks Mystery Sampler at work.  You know at first glance this didn't really inspire me too much as I just couldn't see what it could be.  But I love Little House and have faith that anything they do is going to be fabulous, so I decided to try it.  I'm using the recommended 30 ct. Straw, even though at first glance I thought this was too close to the color of a couple of the threads they used, but still I decided to go for it.  As usual, getting the initial elements on the fabric was a little boring...border and the enormous sun, but then I started putting in the branches and then the musical notes.  That's when inspiration hit.  I changed the musical notes to black and used beads as the actual notes.  Then I changed the single brick stitches to single beads to resemble berries and I can't tell you what a difference this made to me.  It makes those elements pop and puts pops of  brighter color on the darker fabric, which is making it come alive.   This is going to be so cute...and I can't wait to see what comes next.  It hadn't occurred to me...duh....but when Greg was in and asked what I was working on he said it will probably be the 4 seasons....and I think he might be right.  Many can't believe I would work on something when I have no idea what it will look like...but I have great faith in the companies that do these samplers, loved Brenda Gervais Mystery Sampler a couple of years ago and the Lizzie Kate piece....loved them both.  Would I do one from a company I'm unfamiliar with...probably not!  In the next week I'll send a picture of my work in progress so you can see for yourself.  In the meantime, I'm posting pictures of one of Renee's birthday gifts.  It's the Olde  Colonial Lollipop....cute, cute, cute.  Stitching was relatively easy, and the finishing...well it was O.K. too, although I ended up changing a couple of steps....to make the finishing easier...but it went together quickly.  I learn each time I put something new together...I think I'm getting better, but have so much more to learn.  The other piece I did for her was a reproduction of the pin cushion that Jean gave me.  It was a bear to put together for some reason.....I never got it together as nicely as Jean did and that made me mad....I've got to learn how she did it.  Anyway, I'll try to get it up on the blog also later.  In the meantime...have a great holiday...stay safe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great post! Lovely!