Thursday, July 25, 2013

Stitching like a maniac...............

We got an order of the ivory boxes in but instead of the 6,  I ordered,  we got 18 (they shipped ivory instead  of black) but I decided I love these boxes so much it wouldn't make a difference as I'm stitching them like crazy.  I did 3 in three nights.  These are Shepherd's Bush designs....they are so cute and would make such wonderful gifts.  They could be fancy little sewing boxes...a small pair of scissors and a pack of needles plus anything else a project may need would keep everything you need contained beside your stitching chair.  I always take charms or buttons out of  kits and think I'm protecting them by putting them in a safe place, but then can't find that safe place when I need the items.  But this is the perfect container and sitting beside my stitching chair...well I certainly can't go wrong....can I?  Anyway they were such fun to stitch I've got 3 more in my bag to do.  And what wonderful gifts they will make...duh, that's an idea.   I'm finished "Gratitude" by Shepherd's Bush, and took it to the framers yesterday, along with "Needleworker" by Little House.  I initially wanted to use the Crescent Colour frame however, there seems to be a problem with Crescent Colour...they can't seem to get anything off backorder status.  While I love their frames and their Belle Soie, we are slowly substituting other fibers and frames since it is nearly impossible to get their stuff.  While we've been able to get some of their silks, we've had several colours that have been backordered for approximately 6 months, which is just unacceptable to us.  So if you have a project using their silks...you may want to rethink using the threads unless they are in stock at the time of purchase.  I've already taken out the Lizzie Kate Mystery Sampler from last fall, which I started last year and I'm back to working on it while at work.  I'm already on the 2nd part so I'm thinking with stead work I should have this done by the end of the week...at least that is my goal.  I've also finished the first section of Little House Mystery Sampler...it's still a mystery to me, but we do have the 2nd section so hopefully that will be done before the 3rd section appears and I'll figure the mystery out.  And on the horizon the Lizzie Kate Christmas Mystery Sampler which is due in the shop either in August or September I think.  I can't sleep for the amount of stitching that needs to get done.  We've gotten some really cute needlepoint pieces in and I'm dying to get my hands on some of that....but won't allow myself  to take another one until I finish my Nautical Santa which I started last year.  I was going strong on that and was pulled away to do something so it got stuck in a bag and now resides in my stitching room.  While it isn't a mystery sampler, it's a mystery as to when I'll get it done.  Oh my, too much stitching and so little time left (after all I'm 65)...my theory is that you can't die until you finish stitching your stash....I think I'm putting that to the real test and I'm not sure I want to live to be a thousand.  Sara  is wearing her Noro sweater...this is Sara who just learned to knit a little over a  year ago and have completed a sweater which she is proud to wear.  Congratulations Sara...job well done.  We'll have to get a picture of her in it up on facebook or the blog soon.  Today is really dreary here as it's been threatening rain all day.  It's not as hot though so that's a plus...yesterday it was in the 90's real rash weather for me.  I hate it.  But not complaining...I said I wouldn't complain if it ever got warm this spring,  when it was so cold, so I'm just reporting not complaining.  But what I will complain about is the rudeness of shoppers.  Honestly, whatever happened to manners.  Is "Thank you", "Please" just not in style anymore?  Well it should be.    We are open almost 12 hours a day here...10 a.m. to 9:45 p.m.  Many of us are working more than one shift (O.K., perhaps not I, but the others are working 2 shifts most days) anyway,  at 9:45 p.m. I lock the doors and if you are in the shop you can shop or walk around as late as you want, but we don't allow anyone else in, in an effort to get the shops closed and for us to get out around 10:00 p.m.  This comes after years of closing at exactly 10 p.m. and ending up in the shop until 11:00 p.m.  I just can't work all those hours anymore and it isn't fair to the young girls who work here and also start work at 9:00 a.m. as housekeepers at the hotel and then work the shops at night.  Would you go to Macy's after they close and knock on the door and say you came specifically for Macy's and expect them to open their doors?  Well for some reason it seems to be acceptable to some here.  I was letting customers out as they finished shopping and 2 young women knocked on the door.  I said, (and by now it was 10:00) "I'm sorry we're closed but we will be open tomorrow from 10 a.m. until 9:45 p.m."  To which one of them said, "We just walked here to come to this shop."  To which I replied, "I'm sorry, but we're closed and we have to get to another job...(which use to be true as I use to go over to the hotel and let the desk clerk off and I would wait for Vernon to get there (he was known to be late and I don't think it's fair to make the kids work overtime when they all work 2 shifts to begin with.)  But that still didn't stop this person.  The fact that she walked (probably from next door) she felt she should get in, regardless of anyone else's schedule.  While she may be on vacation and have all the time in the world, we don't.  We have to get some sleep so we can get up and do it all over again the next day.  I only wish I could go where she works, when she was ready to go home and tell her the same thing.  I've been in shops when they ask that you bring your purchases to the register as it is closing time.  Now in the big box stores that wouldn't surprise me, but when small retailer announces that it does surprise me.    We've never told anyone they have to leave...although there are times when we'd like to, but never have.   That means if they are just walking around the store for 1 hour until 11:00 p.m. we just smile and find something to do,  (and we've had that happen)  but we never tell anyone they have to leave.  Anyway enough said!!!!  Fortunately we don't get many of those types...we get more of the "What time do you close?" types.  I've had many ask me that at 5:30 and when I said, "9:45" they are shocked because they all think I close at 6:00.    Boy wouldn't that be nice...going home at 6:00 p.m.  But I'm not complaining since in the off season we go home at 4:00...more stitching time in front of the T.V.  Love it!  But I'm starting to worry Sara and she told Mary after that incident that they needed to get me out of the shops.  (you don't have to ask me twice...I'm ready to go.)  I will say I'll miss it when I'm no longer needed here.  I'll miss the stitchers, but not the non-stitchers.  I'll miss seeing the stitching everyone does.  We had a lady from West Virginia who brought in her mermaids to get beads.  She started stitching last year when she began with the Mirabilia mermaids.  She was doing an excellent job...first stitching she's done.   It was amazing.  I usually start people small and inexpensive.  Just the beads alone for the 3 pieces is going to run around $125.00 if not more.  But she was so excited and that's exciting for us.  I love to see  how stitchers interpret a pattern...the changes they make in them, the additions to the patterns, the finishing the use.  I have copied what many have shown me....and love the changes they made.  So that I would miss...but I wouldn't miss "how much is your string?"   I worked the Shell Shop on Saturday for Sara and it is located right beside the Bikini Shoppe.  To get to the Shell Shop you have to walk right by the Bikini Shoppe...(One way in you enter through a foyer in front of the Bikini Shoppe which is how this couple came in)...anyway, I heard her say, "I don't see any."  So I said, "Excuse me were you looking for something specific."  And she said....(hold on to you hats)..."I was looking for bikinis'".  I waited a moment thinking she had to be kidding...for God's sake they are hanging in the window she just walked by and the door to the Bikini Shoppe is propped open...mine isn't....but I could tell after a few seconds she wasn't joking so I said, "The Bikini Shoppe is where they would sell them and you walked by it...it's through the open door in the foyer."  She responded..."Oh"  and wasn't even embarrassed.  People....some I won't miss.  I have to tell you Sherry Prutzman came in this morning.  She's down for a couple of days....has never been here in season before...she's one of our stitchers from Pennsylvania who comes for events...which are always out of season.  Anyway, she was commenting on the amount of people in town...whew...never saw it so crowded.  Then she said, "You are so right when you talk about how people don't look at themselves before leaving their rooms."  She sat out on the porch last night and marveled at the sights.  She just came in and said she was going to the Cottage Café for their crab soup.  I said, Sherry, you don't want to get out of the roads today...overcast...not beach weather...everyone gets in their car and gets on the highway...it will take you forever to get to Bethany.  She said, "Oh, probably 20 minutes"....and I said no...at least an hour...but she is disbelieving so she's on the road.  I just pray we see her again before midnight.  Instead of lunch this may become her dinner.  Live and Learn.  Out of season and in season are two entirely different things here in a resort.  I think she has patience though so she will be alright.  Well, guess what just arrived....the day after I take my pieces to the framer...Crescent Colours Frame...damn.  However, no Belle Soie's in sight.  But at least we got the frame now.  Only my piece won't be in it....

No comments: