Sunday, July 19, 2009

It just doesn't get any easier....

We thought we had a well oiled machine here this summer, things going relatively smoothly....we thought. We're still without the freight lift...this was suppose to be done by the 4th of July...it's apparent that men never estimate time correctly. Anyway, we've been dealing with that, well at least the men in the laundry room who take turns hauling the mountainous amounts of luggage and crap people bring on vacation have been taking care of it. I've been hiding in the office. We'd had a few complaints from some of the foreign workers about 2 of the housekeepers who never seemed to help anyone else, and I noticed they worked much later than anyone else and while I brought it up to Sara...we decided they were doing such a bang up job. WRONG!!! We needed a room right away in their building and no one could find them, so Sara went on the hunt and the first suite she looked in she found them asleep in the beds. Yes, our housekeepers were the last ones done each day because they slept the morning away and then got up and did their rooms. Sara about blew a fuse...and believe it or not they are still employed, pay docked, but employed. Yes, it's amusing running a little hotel in a sea side resort. It brought back the years my parent were running the hotel. We had one housekeeper we were unsure of (back then the housekeepers were from around here), and there had been rumors of a slight drinking problem, but she did really well for a time and then one Saturday (the worst day to have an issue with housekeeping) my mother went over to the Lodge and called me and said, "Tell your father and everyone else to get over here now." I couldn't get there fast enough knowing it had to be awful for her to call in the troops...and sure enough, she arrived in the room to find the housekeeper "3 sheets to the wind" and hanging over the toilet. She had put bedspreads on sideways, left pillow cases off, and God only knows what else. So Mother and I spent that day going back over everything she did and fixing it. My mother wasn't nearly as charitable about it as Sara...that woman was fired on the spot. I found the entire episode amusing until I had to clean up the mess she had created. I'm with mother on these issues...fire them...of course then Sara, Mary or I would have to take over the housekeeping duties in that building...I think I see why we didn't fire her. Good Lord, we have 2 more months of this...I'm not sure we're going to make it this year. Good news...the lift should be ready by the 1st of August...just when we start to slow down again. Isn't that par for the course. Then today, I turned around and saw the Summons for court....July 13th, which I forgot I had. Oh, well, the cops haven't shown up to arrest me yet, so that's a good thing. I don't have a clue why I was summoned by the state as a witness to something...I initially thought it had to do with the person that ran into the house...but I didn't witness anything except the policeman who kept banging on my door... But Mary thinks it has something to do with someone who got in an accident and then said he lived at our address. Again, what the hell does this have to do with me. Well, anyway, I'm calling the state's attorney tomorrow to tell him I forgot (for God's sake I'm 61..he's lucky I remember to get dressed before going outside)...what are they going to do..lock me up? I could use the vacation so bring it on. Just let me take my stitching with me because I am way behind! On the plus side...we didn't have any drama over the weekend. The weather has been hot, hot, hot...just the way the visitors like it and the way I hate it...but I'm willing to put up with it for the visitors. Vernon tells me it's suppose to go down to the 60's tonight...can't wait to open my windows. Got to run...talk to you soon. Have a great week....

No comments: