Decisions have been made and now we have to figure out how to do that, putting into place a safe work environment and making it safe for our customers. While the Mayor and Governor have declared things can open, including retail stores, this weekend, we will be closed for another week as we try to figure out how to implement the safety measures. We are gloved and masked so we are ready, but it's figuring out the rest of it. We can have 50% capacity....I'm not really sure how many that is. 6 feet between each customer, etc. So it comes down to this...we may have to restrict how many come in at one time, but I'm afraid we are going to have to count on you, our customers, to keep the social distance to 6 feet. The rockers will be out front so you can sit if you have to wait, but oh, my I'm too old for this. Anyway, the news that I'll be back at work next week is O.K. as I can't complain after having been off since March 14th, but now I'm back to full time I think...oh, my have I mentioned I'm going to be 72 next month. Is there a law I can't work? I say let's implement that one. No, I'm just kidding. The only thing that gets a work out when I'm in Sea Trader is my mouth because I rarely get out of the chair, although since I'll be constantly sanitizing the shelves, etc., I may get quite a work out now. Now that I have a goal of next Friday I've been working on the finishes and today I have another one. Well, it's halfway done.
The design is from a Heart in Hand Wee One series and it's called Stitching Bird. I got the galvanized tote it's shown on from Hobby Lobby. I decided to attach it using magnets on the stitched piece and that way I can change it if I want to later. After attaching it I thought it looked a little bare so I had the needle holder on a metal cart beside my stitching place so I added it above the bird and the fact that it shows a tomato pincushion was perfect, and then I started thinking about the things I would need while stitching and so I put a magnet next to the stitched piece and put my scissors on it, I took my threads which I already had on a metal 2" ring and attached that ring to the handle. I'm sure before this makes it to the shop I will be adding things as I find them. And with everything attached using magnets it's so easy. And I stuck the piece I'm working on in there so now everything I need to stitch this piece is in this tote. So easy to find when I need it. This tote would be an excellent place to put all the needle nannies you collect. Plenty of space here. Anyway, I said it was 1/2 done because I'm in the process of stitching Quilting Bird which will be put on the opposite side so it won't matter which side you display. You could do seasonal displays this way and if you attach using magnets you can easily move things on and off. The Stitching Bird design is stitched on 32 ct. Ant. White linen using Classic Colorworks, Weeks Dye Works, and Gentle Art fibers. The only thing I changed is the spool you see on the design that's really a micro spool which I added thread to and it replaced the called for JABCO button because I didn't have the button home and didn't want to go down to the shop to get one. I added a real needle to his beak, just because I didn't feel like stitching the one on the chart and added tiny pins to the pincushion because I like real next to the stitched and I had them. It's a fast stitch too, which you know I love and need at times. Yesterday I finished the Brenda Gervais "Project Quarantine-Stay Home and Stitch. After I finished the stitching I first thought about framing it because I stitched it on 32 instead of 36 and thought it was a tad too large for a pincushion. But after studying it for about 1/2 hr., I came to the conclusion it could be a drum. I talked to Sara to get her thoughts and she agreed so a drum was born. I used Weeks Dye Works wool for the top and bottom. The drum was stitched using 32 ct. linen and the suggested threads. It was also a fun stitch. It didn't have much that I could embellish but I did put a real tapestry needle in place of the stitched one which has a loose thread in it, in the hand of the stitcher on the right hand side. On the pincushions, I also used real pins.
3 months. I have another finish to do tomorrow and I love the piece but the finishing I'm not so sure about. In any event, I'm done work for the day so I'll end this and again please stay safe and if you can stay home. And those who can't perhaps we will see you next weekend.