Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Summer is right around the corner and our temps are rising....

Last weekend was one of the car weekends in Ocean City, so we had a lot of car people in town and the sun was out so there were people everywhere,  however what I find so amazing about these car weekends is.....the number of people that take their beach chairs and head for the main streets, Baltimore Ave., and Philadelphia or Beach Highway, where they sit for hours watching the cars go by.  As I witness, this each time they are in town,  I think how extraordinary it is when 100 feet away, in the case of Baltimore Ave.,  is the Atlantic Ocean, which is one of nature's amazing spectacles, yet here are so many within walking distance of the ocean watching cars drive by on the highway.   But of course, we are always thrilled to have the car enthusiasts in town and the business they bring and they are certainly welcome to sit and watch anything they want, but it always makes me ponder.   Summer can't be far away as the temperature is climbing every week,  and we're ready to welcome it with open arms.  I'm busy getting models done for the shop...and I'm thrilled to say I found the challenge piece and I wasn't as far as I'd hoped I was (isn't that always the way) plus I can't figure out what some of the threads I used are, and since I stopped in the middle of a block, I'm going to have to rip it out and redo it....UGH!  Instead of tackling that I decided to start a new block and try to get into it again.  Progress is slow and I fear I'm going to have to pay the $25.00 if I can't pick up the pace. I've now been working on it for a couple of weeks and can't figure out why I am not getting much done.  There are plenty of areas where it is one color and yet I've found that boring which is slowing things up.  I refuse to give up but this might have to be my challenge piece again in 2020.  Now I'm on a mission to finish it regardless of how many years it takes (UGH).     I did finish my Just Nan project this week and a Brenda Gervais project but of course I haven't done the finishing...hopefully this weekend if I'm not on the schedule (fingers crossed).  I've already picked out the next few projects....4th of July and Liberty projects which are some of my favorites.  Spent the morning picking new colors as I wanted brighter colors I thought.  I'm still struggling with my foot issues.  I had my yearly physical and was thrilled when I found out my scale wasn't broken as I thought it was when it showed a 15 lb. weight loss since November.  So that was good news for me, but unfortunately my ankle is still giving me a fit.  I don't like taking any more meds than I have to so I stop taking the pain meds.  However, on Monday after a trip to the hospital for more tests, barely able to walk even with the cane because the ankle hurt so much Sara told me to start taking the pain meds again and low and behold since doing so my ankle is feeling much better.  I managed to finish another piece of Brenda Gervais, "Ode to the Ort", and I also did the finishing..whoppee, which was pretty simple, however I made it even easier by not doing the strawberry to dangle from it.  I just didn't see any reason to do it for this project.  Perhaps for another project I'll come back to it but for now I'm done. 


This is the top of the metal box that came with the chart....linen and fibers from my stash.  The design is approx. 1 7/8" square when stitched over one on 28 ct.. linen.  The tin box is approx 3" tall and 2" wide and it's so cute when finished.  I didn't have the recommended 1/8" rick rack so I used Lady Dot's 1/4" rick rack and it worked out O.K., but I would have liked the 1/8" better.  Brenda cut her rick rack into 4 pieces so there would be no excess to deal with on the corners and I found out it is was easier to glue it this way so I'm glad I followed her directions.  It was fun, easy and 28 ct is easy to do over one so a nice break from my challenge piece.  With this a limited edition kit, I almost didn't model it, but Sara said there were more in the shop and I wanted to do a fun stitch and so glad I picked it.  The only thing you get in the box is the tin box and the chart.  You have to supply the 28 ct. linen, they recommend lugana 28 ct., but I used 28 ct. ant. white.  Oh yes, of course I ran into color problems with the white flowers at the top as well as inside the design, which I changed to Wood Rose because the Magnolia Blossom didn't show up and then I switched out the centers for oilcloth as it went better with Woodrose than the Ye Old Gold.  Other than that I stayed true to what Brenda recommended.  And let me stress that I only changed the colors because I didn't have mushroom lugana at the house.  I love her patterns which is why I do so many, however, I'm not able to use her colors because I've used different counts fabric or difference colors of linen.  Well I'm off to finish my Just Nan piece and hopefully the Quaker Sewing Tray by Brenda.  Wish me Luck!  Have a great stitching weekend. 

No comments: