Friday, February 13, 2015

OMG...I can't believe I'm back on skatepark duty..

Michael was well enough to come to school today so we had class today until 1:45 and after 2 days off we were struggling.  I made him take an English exam and it wasn't pretty but we got through it and now we've actually finished and taken finals on two subjects, so we're doing well.  So after he left I took my usual position....resting on the sofa, dozing off and on and staring at my needlework.  Just about the time I was ready to pick it up I got the call..."Mom what are you going to be doing later?"  Which is Mary's call to arms for me to watch one of the kids.  So, of course, I said, stitching, what do you need and I heard the words that, with a wind chill of 15 degrees outside, I did not want to hear.  Skatepark duty because Izi has indoor soccer.  What can a grandmother do but grab her phone, money, and head out.  So I did.  It wasn't that big a deal, of course, because unlike spring and summer the skate park closes earlier, and I wasn't sitting outside but in the comfort of a warm car.  In fact the boys (there were only two kids there, Solomon and his friend Brandon) left the park to street skate so the park closed early....but the boys kept skaking until it got really dark and then Brendon asked Solomon to spend the night so I was able to leave the park but now they are skating outside my place waiting for Mary to get back with the pizza and then I'm done with skatepark duty for the day.  15 degrees and this kid is outside skating.  I helped them put the ramp I got Solomon for Christmas together so they could use it and my hands are freezing, I'm sure I've got frost bite and yet...they are still out there skating.  But I will say this....Solomon use to be a little sickly....they kept their house at 90 degrees, because they were always cold, so it was like he lived in a hot house.  This winter he hasn't even had a mild cold...so perhaps this skateboarding thing is a blessing, but 15 degrees....honestly.  Meanwhile they can barely get Izi out of the house which is why I don't mind doing this because Izi loves soccer and it gets him out, well it's indoor soccer at this point, but the point is he's off the damn IPad and computer. Mary's home...I free at last, Thank God I'm off skating duty.  Now back to stitching.

No comments: