Friday, February 29, 2008

Please ring bell for service....

Have you seen that sign at Walmart? Well, may I say, don't even bother. I went over yesterday, since the bridge is open and it's such a short trip now, and I needed supplies to finish my scissor box...so I went in, and of course since this is a department no one gives a damn about there was no one there. Now keep in mind we don't have a fabric store anywhere near here. The nearest Hancock's or quilting shop is about 45 minutes away, so Walmart is my "port in the storm." Anyway, I stood there for at least 5 minutes, ringing the friggin bell looking like a jackass and finally thought, "screw it, how hard could this be, I've watched them do this a dozen times." So I got their "gun" out of it's holder, scanned the bolt of pellon and cut off a yard and put the measurements into the gun and the white ticket shot out and I pinned it to the fabric as I had watched them do so many times. I repeated the procedure for the second iron on fusing and left the department, supplies in my cart, feeling very satisfied that for that 3 seconds as a Walmart employee I had done a great job. I had a satisfied customer in my hands, and that customer was me. So I waltz to the checkout counter trying to get together a story in case they asked how I got the fabrics and all the checker said was, "wow I've never sold fabric that expensive before." I said, "What, it was $1.47 a yard and I only purchase one yard." So she's calling over for a supervisor since she had already scanned it into her register, I'm starting to look real guilty while at the same time thinking "if they figure out what I did they certainly can't accuse me of trying to steal it." So the supervisor listens to the cashier telling her how expensive this fabric was, and me saying over her, "It's $1.47 per yard" and while I may deserve to pay the $52.50 it was telling them, I didn't want to. Anyway, the supervisor said she would have to take both fabrics over to have them remeasured and repriced and would be back. So now I'm waiting at the register holding up the line (yea, a proud moment). So I said, ring up the rest, let me pay and then I'll wait for the fabrics to come back and get back in line. Now, next time...and future reference...make sure you put in the fabric as a part of a yard. I put in 36" or so I thought, when I actually was telling it 36 yards instead of 1 yard. Will I do it again, you bet your ass, but I'll do it correctly. And...the end result, I came away with my fabric faster than if I waited for someone to answer that stupid bell. They use to have a phone in that department, but I think when we started using it to call them to tell them to get someone over to the department to cut our fabric they felt we misused the phones as that wasn't what they were there for. I can't wait to see what they do now...although my feeling is the fabric sections are going to be discontinued. Crap!!! Somehow I always end up driving to Salisbury. Crap! Moving on...I began working on the next section of my ABC sampler....you can't see it here, but I wanted to prove I'm working on it. This has been such a labor of love I'll be sorry to see it end. This has been fun, even when there has been a difficult stitch, which I'm finding more of as I'm getting closer to the end however, when there is so little to be stitched you can easily get through it. I expect to get this section done by Sunday, and then...there is only one more section out and then I'll be waiting for the next 2 sections to be published. I'll be ahead of the game...whoppee...and then I will get back to Maidens of the Sea. I started the finishing work on my Scissor holder that slips into the Orleans Carpenters little shaker box. I got all my supplies together, and then cut out around the shapes and low and behold cut one of the too close to the stitching for comfort. I'm so disgusted with myself...I mean how many times do I have to do this before I get it right. This is why I should just send everything to Carolyn...however, I know it's not that difficult and I keep telling everyone they can easily do it, so I thought it was my duty to prove it.....I need to stop proving things to myself and just let it go!!!! Anyway, I'm still finishing it, hope to have it done and in the shop tomorrow and I'll be sure to take a pictorial so you too can make fun of me. Got to go...mail to open, Olde Colonial to unpack...oooh, I ordered another casket from them...just not going to be happy until I have one stitched...check with you later. Have a great day!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Love the Drawn Thread piece! Is Q going to be queen stitch????