Next came, "Broom Stick," which was one of the quickest to stitch. With the exception of Zach Black, and Frog Legs, I used the recommended colors. Zach Black is substituted in every chart to DMC Black. On this chart, I also substituted Frog Legs as it didn't show up as nicely on my linen so I used Hickory Sticks to highlight the broom satin stitched the part of the broom which surrounds the broom stick. For the cording I used Weeks Gold and DMC Black.
Next came "Bat Balm." Another fast stitch and here again I didn't like the brightness of the Finley Gold and substituted Weeks Gold in its place. For some reason, I didn't change the bat color to black and should have as they don't show up as well on the gold (they would have shown up beautifully on the Finley. This piece is also where I began using a deep rose metal body and the bats the rose eyes. I did change the green beside Bat Balm lettering because I didn't even look at the chart symbol and just for some reason did it in green. Since I thought it looked O.K., I stuck with it.
Next up-"Snail Slime." Again, it would have been lovely if I bothered to read, instead of looking at the from of the chart because again, I didn't notice the bubbles were supposed to be a specialty stitch and I just did cross-stitch, but I loved it enough anyway to leave it. On this finish, I used a lime green DMC #734 with the black. During the making of the cording my cord spinner broke and I then had to finish the next two with cording done the old way with a pencil...UGH! Sara was going to drop a new corder off on her run to the grocery store but that would be 2-3 days away and who can wait? Now, I so appreciate my little corder so much more than I ever did.
While there are 3 more designs to stitch, I wanted to show you how cute these are and how I intend to display them...as a Halloween pennant banner, with Halloween characters holding the ends of the banner. I'm excited!
We have it temporarily up on the counter until I have it completely finished. I'm thinking about adding something in-between each stitched design to keep them anchored, but we are still debating on whether to do it or not. Anyway, I highly recommend this project for those of you who have Halloween on the brain. Fun, Fun, Fun! Can't wait to finish because my next projects are already kitted and are waiting patiently for me to get to them. Have a great Labor Day weekend, stay safe.