Friday, January 10, 2014

TGIF...oh, my!'s been a difficult week for me.. as anyone over the age of 60 can tell you, the doctors have devised all kinds of excitement for us...and the worst of the games is the colonoscopy.  Now I realize the cure (tests) are better than the illness (cancer), however between the actual test and the prep...good Golly it's a minefield and each step is hazardous to your health.  Having had this procedure twice before, and knowing that I had a problem with the prep before  made this time even more stressful for me.  And then when I went to the preliminary before the actual event (shall we call it)..I became even more stressed out when they informed me I couldn't take pills again which I did on the second colonoscopy.  No matter how much whining I did about not being able to get the liquid down, the doctor just said, "Don't worry about it,  it's different than the last time you took it and people say it tastes good (I rank that right up there with the pharmacist asking if anyone spoke to me about the price of a prescription).  But when you have no choice you just go with it.  Then to find out the prescription is $93.00 and insurance only covers $2.00 of it...well another blow for this procedure.  But Tuesday evening I started mixing the powder with water....scared but determined I put a straw in the glass (I read it made it easier to get it down) and was thrilled I only had to drink 5 oz of the stuff.  I was even more amazed when I realized the consistency was different this time and it didn't taste as bad as last time so I was able to do the prep with no problem.  Aside from not having a bit of food for over 24 hours I thought things were going really well.  The only problem I could see was you had to take a 2nd doze so many hours before your actual colonoscopy...and that meant I would have to get up at 3:00 and take the second prep.  Now we all know you must remain alert after taking this stuff  because you have to run to the bathroom...several times.  I was so hungry....I couldn't concentrate on anything.  To keep me occupied I watched "Game of Thrones" all day Tuesday which helped...and stitched...which helped.  Anyway, I woke at 3:00 a.m. did the 2nd prep and of course by then had to stay up in order to take a shower when it was close to 7:00 and get dressed as Sara was picking me up at 7:15 on her way to drop Michael at school.  Then off to the doctors.  They called on Monday and told me to show up at 8:00 (my actual colonoscopy was 9:00).  So we got to the doctors around 7:45 and when checking in she said, "Oh you're really early."  I said I knew I was 15 minutes early but I'd sit and wait.  She said, you aren't scheduled until 10:00a.m.  I informed  her I had the paper which was given to me at the doctor's on which it said 9:00 a.m., plus someone at her office called me a couple of days ago and told me to get there at 8:00 a.m.  She starts shuffling papers and says, Oh yes, I see  where they moved up the appointment (but I could see the paper which clearly said 10:00 so somewhere there was a glitch in their system).  But we sat and waited and around 9:00 a.m. they came for me.  I told Sara I was going to need to eat as soon as I was done so while I was in she went for snacks.  Things went quickly once I went into the prep room.  I have to say, my doctor is the best.  He comes in with a smile and has a short conversation with you and when it's over it's the same thing.  If I was looking inside someone's poop shoot I would have neither a smile nor a good word.  Thank God I'm not a doctor.  Anyway, once I woke up we were on our way in a matter of minutes (well, perhaps 45 minutes).  Thrilled to be done...except he says we have to meet in 5 years again...damn!  Love the man but don't want to see him at work anymore.  Anyway, it took me 2 days to get over it (that's my story and again I'm sticking with it) so I sat on the sofa for 2 days stitching and getting my "Games of Thrones" on.  Just so I could say I wasn't worthless I did start the kitchen scrub down .... actually cleaning woodwork, etc., microwave, ovens, etc.  Yes this is new for me, but I'm determined to get it all spic and span before spring.  For every hour I cleaned I got to watch "Game..." one episode.  That lasted for 2 hours and then it was over and I was back on the sofa.  Anyway, that's my TGIF story.  Now...because I have to talk business at some point...I put up another before Christmas finish.  The first picture shows the Praiseworthy Stitches special kit...what's so cute is the green plastic tree (I know plastic, but it is cute) that the kit comes in it and then it becomes the container for the finished product.  Everything is really small, the scissor sheath holds the new petite cute, and the thimble pocket is holding a thimble and still fits into the green plastic tree.  The second picture is the Pine Mountain "Winter Topography" pillow.  I have to say, usually Pine Mountain is a fast and easy project for me, one to two nights and I'm done.  I can't say that for this pillow.  It didn't help that I kept using the wrong color fibers in the wrong spots and kept tearing out, but even so this took a few nights, but I do love it because there is so much to it.  And it makes a great pillow to represent the month.  January is our "snow" month in the shop, so our front display has anything with snow or snowmen on it.  Fun for such a dull month...and I mean dull since the last two months are so exciting and colorful.  But January in Ocean City is quiet, it's overcast and events happening and few visitors except for us next weekend when Camp Wannastitch will be in our stitchers.  So if you are coming for that we look forward to seeing you.  We are having warmer temps...high 40's, low 50's and this weekend going to 60...but raining.  At least there is no snow...although a snow day doesn't make me whine...just more time on the sofa.  Have a great weekend. 

1 comment:

Catherine Roberts said...

I loved your colly story,Im due again but have been putting it off, knowing what the cleaser stuff does I didnt eat fro three days before hand so by teh time I got the hospital I was very low on sugar levels which the nurses discovered when i made the mistake of telling them what Id done,oops,they had a lovely sugar drip waiting for me when I came out,I was sooo hungry,so far they havent found any nasties