Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I'm in hell..............

With the heat I'm experiencing I really think I've died and gone down instead of up. Is that possible and if that's what's happened I'm glad I went down there because I've seen an awful lot of you there as well, so at least we can have a Stitch 'n Bitch. Anyway, I know that in February, during one of the blizzards, after staying home and in my P.J.'s a few days I said I'd never complain about the heat again. Well, folks, I lied....I am now looking forward to those snowy days, and freezing temperatures and I say now, and I mean it as much as when I said it in the winter, I will never complain about the cold again. Honestly, I know it can't be just that I'm overweight (that's a nice way to state the obvious), or that I'm old (of course 62 is the new 32....at least to those of us 62 and up), or that I'm cranky....it's frickin' hot down here. I've lived here all my life and I've never and I do mean never seen the temperatures stay in the 90's and above for an entire summer. Never has my a/c been on for over 2 months in one stretch. I'm not loving it here right now, but would I want to be anywhere else...hell no, because I know you are all sitting in the same hot weather I'm sitting in, and at least I have the ocean. Lois Modrell was in last night and said New Jersey was miserable as well (makes us feel better down here knowing we aren't alone.) Lois also brought me a box of her favorite chocolates...a marshmellow and peanut butter dipped in chocolate...and I have to tell you they are delicious. Thank you so much Lois, you made my night! And no I didn't eat them all in one night but I did take them home so I wouldn't have to share! (Actually I couldn't figure out where to put them so that my Michael wouldn't get in them...we're trying to get his weight down for football and that boy is on the hunt for snacks). Kay Fletcher also dropped by to drop off books (books, a snack, and in the needlework shop...it doesn't get any better) for me (thanks Kaybe) and a football platter for our annual Superbowl sale in February (let's just say Kay is getting organized). Her Jack is still seriously ill so please keep him in your prayers. Greg, Candi and Linda were here on Sunday....Candi got a teaching position...she's teaching 2nd grade. I only hope she can keep up her enthusiasm once she has to deal with the school board, superintendents, and every other person you have to deal with when teaching...and then there are the parents....Good luck Candi! But it's exciting for her, she's so young and innocent and excited. So how are all the teachers out there getting ready to go back into the classroom. Are you as excited as the parents who get to wave goodbye to their problems as they foist them on you? Man, I wouldn't be a teacher if you paid me a million dollars...(uh...wait a minute, O.K. for a million I would teach for a year). Shop news: We changed the shop around, wait...I should say Pat and Renee changed the shop around for the influx of yarns I can't seem to stop ordering. But I think it works better than it did before so I'm thrilled with the changes. The only problem is, I really think we've run out of room. I have the Debbie Bliss yarn rep coming in Thursday morning and I just know I have no place for more yarn, but after all he is coming down here to show me the stuff so I feel a certain obligation to purchase. I don't seem to have a "Just say No" gene when it comes to this stuff. I just got a notice regarding the Just Cross Stitch Christmas ornament issue, so that should be here in about a month...or sooner...how exciting. I'll be honest I haven't done that much stitching this summer. By the time I get home I'm basically sitting on the sofa for about 5 minutes and then just falling over and sleeping. At first I was waking up around 4:30 or 5 a.m. and I'd do a little stitching, but in the last month that has ended and I'm lucky to be up by 7 a.m. So I'm still working on Libertyville....but I have knitted slouch hats for Mary, Solomon, and Israel. The only person I haven't done one for yet is Brian and he's the only one that's asked for one. I'm now in the shop for my shift....and the best thing is...the a/c is pumping big time. Of course, a few people come in and complain that it's too cold...too bad...in this heat it is all about me! So it will remain cold in Salty Yarns. I will say that if I didn't have to deal with people wanting to know where to buy string I would be in paradise in here. If only it was myself and those who really stitched...yes, paradise. Carol was in this morning with her knitting...had a problem...so we sat down and I'm thrilled to announce that I was able to help her correct her issue...does that make me an expert? (I didn't think so either...but at least I'm able to muddle through). But I need to get back to my cross stitch as I have so many gifts I want to stitch this year. It's been rather calm since I came into the shop...nobody asking me for string yet, although we all know they are finding their way here as I type! Patience...patience... I really need it when I'm in here. Alright...5 minutes haven't passed and I've already had a lady bring up a kit which has limited directions and ask if I thought it was a good beginner piece. I answered "no", and showed her to the beginner kits. Told her specifically which ones we recommend for beginners so of course she picks something else and brings it up and asked me if she needed a board to work it on. A Board...what the hell kind of board would you use to work a piece of counted cross stitch. Oh, My Lord...it's going to be a long night! What I love is she says she remembered she had to have a board to work it on. (Perhaps this is why she hasn't done it in so long....she couldn't find a board.) Anyway, this is the way my night is going...The heat has gotten to everyone apparently. I hope you aren't experiencing the same heat, although I know you are so we're all in the same boat...why doesn't that make me feel better. Anyway, I need to get off this blog...I'll try to write sooner than later. Have a great day.

1 comment:

VegasJilly said...

i live in carroll county and love to visit your blog quit often. you are one of two LNS' i know of remotely near me, and you are three hours away! the other is the stitching post in catonsville which is considerably closer.

anyways, my fiance and i came down for a beach day a couple saturdays ago and i made sure to stop by your shop for a few things. such a treat for me! hopefully we can get down one more day before summer is over and i can sneak in when he isnt looking!