Thursday, August 14, 2008

It's almost over.........

Summer is winding down and for Sara and myself that comes with a mixed blessing, while we are all exhausted and short tempered by this time of year, in the off season our finances are not as free flowing as they are in summer, but if we have to choose one or the other, Sara chooses less money, while I choose summer. But at 60, I'm definitely tired and looking forward to sleeping in and going home early. What I won't miss, people sitting on my steps and arguing using every cuss word in the English language. You know, my mother always said "Don't hang your dirty clothes out for other people to see, " and I've some what lived by that rule. Now you may be thinking..."I don't think so." But I do because while I will reveal what I think is funny or aggravating in my life, I don't reveal everything...really I don't. but listening to men scream at the women in their life has always aggravated me, and is what prompts me to say to the men, "you need to keep each other in check, and when you see one of your fellow men abusing verbal or otherwise, a woman you need to step up and say, that is no way to talk to someone you care about." I listened to that jackass scream at that woman for about 45 minutes on my steps. I kept thinking, I'm going to have to go out there (the only thing that stopped me was I was not dressed as I just got ready for bed). I've got to tell you, I don't know why women let their men talk to them like that. Walk away ladies....just walk away and tell them quietly that when they can compose themselves then they can speak to you. That woman just sat there taking it not saying a word. God, it's too much for me. I can't imagine sitting there taking that. But anyway, that I won't miss. Or the people that rent from us and then get here and say, they were told that it was on the lower floor...or that the price was different...or we had a pool...now folks, the way we cover ourselves in this is each reservation clerk has to mark on each reservation what the person has been told, (rate per night, location of room, # of steps, no elevator, check in and check out dates, what the bedding is, etc.) and yet they still come and insist that they were told we had a pool, or they were told they would be on the first floor when they are on the 3rd floor...it goes on and on.) We even remind returning guests of all these things...we take no chances. But what happens is that people call many hotels, don't take notes and then pick us because we are less expensive and then tack on everything they liked about 100 of the other hotels they called. So they convince themselves that they are getting the best room in Ocean City with all the amenities of a Hyatt Regency, with the cost of the Lankford Hotel. For those who aren't familiar with this hotel, we are the oldest hotel still in existence on the boardwalk. Our rooms are small, but clean and everything has a private bath, but we don't have microwaves, refrigerators, desks, private balconies in our rooms. We tell everyone that calls we are not the modern day hotel, but quaint and well preserved. So will I miss the people who don't listen and then bitch and complain? No I will not, I say good ridance to you folks and next listen to what people are saying to you. I also won't miss the folks that has used our parking lot as their toilet all summer...that I really won't miss at all. This winter I'm going to learn how to tell them in Spanish to zip it up or pull it up and get away from my property. Now, what will I miss....the people who treat the Lankford as the gem that it is...the customers from across the bridge who visit us in Salty Yarns only in the summer. But in the off season we can spend a lot more time with our customers talking...and you know I love that. I won't miss the men that adjust themselves anywhere they are standing, although I'm sure I see this off season as well. I'll miss the Thrasher's French Fries and Alaska Stand hotdogs. I won't miss the heat and humidity which we've had most of the summer but have had a break from it in the last week. I won't miss second shifts...I'm too old to be working from 8:30 or 9:00 a.m. until 10:30 or 11:00 p.m. So while I'm looking forward to the off season, I leave summer with a few regrets. O.K., I just went down to the laundry room to help the kids fold towels, and there was a man standing in the parking lot, not 5 yards away from me, facing me, and had to adjust...what the hell is that about? And he had a smile on his face the entire time, not even embarrassed that I was there. Geez...this I won't miss. We haven't had a "pee" sighting now for at least a week...thank God! But that also means Vernon has been unable to use his stun gun...I'm not sure if he's going to be satisfied going through the entire summer without using it...we might have to just stir up something just so he can zap someone. With my luck it will be 'yours truly'. Oh my God, I just heard the front desk clerk call Sara to tell her someone got locked out on their own balcony. Honestly, it isn't rocket science people...first of all to keep your balcony door locked on the 3rd floor, with no stairs or any other balconies near you so there is absolutely no way for anyone to get to your balcony is ridiculous. We've gone through this at least once a month this summer with the same unit. One family locked themselves out so much we went up and unlocked their balcony door and told them not to lock it again. I may do something this stupid once, but 3 more times...come on people...get those brain cells going. I'm not sure who is up there today, but last time it was the grandmother...3 times the grandmother. Perhaps they should have left her butt home. And with that I'm going to drag my butt home... Good Night and Have a great day tomorrow.

No comments: