Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Not enough time in my day...

March (I forgot to publish this one so it's a bit old) and Updates included

My stitching expectations while I was on the Nashville Market tour certainly exceeded my actual stitching. I took 3 Perforated Paper projects to stitch at the market and while in the car for about 15 hrs.  I got none of them done and only worked on the "Beach Please" from Hands on Design once I got to Nashville.


I'm doing the individual designs on perforated paper (as shown in the top right of the picture) and then mounting them in a shadow box.  I had two done before we left, got 4 more done in Nashville, and still haven't finished the 9th one.  I got too excited to stitch the other 2 pp projects when I got home so Beach Please is not complete. UPDATE - Finished April 2023 and here it is.   The 9 designs were stitched on 14 ct. Antique Brown perforated paper, cut out and mounted in the 8" x 8" shadow box from Hobby Lobby.  I did tape in the background using scrapbook paper (Aqua Green).  


Once I got home I did finish both of the other two pp projects.  After seeing Stasi's finish on the 2 sweater patterns from Lila's Studio I was excited to do them myself.  So a couple of months ago I ordered the snowflakes so all systems would be go when I finally got the chart from the shop.  


April 2023 ~ UPDATE -   Done!  Mounted on 4" wooden snowflakes from JoAnne's which I painted white.  Fun Stitch - April 2023
   As always with the pp. I have some sort of condition that won't let me just let the pp show.  Normally, stitchers do the design and don't stitch the background.  Let me admit I like the pieces with just design done when I see them.  I think to myself let it stand and walk away, but I've never been able to do that...so my backgrounds will always be stitched.  While Stasi's snowflakes came with the hole in the top for hanging, as you can see mine did not, however Vernon was able to use a small bit and put holes in mine when I took them to the shop.  


I had Sara purchase a Teresa Kogut Nashville release for me and actually said, "I think I can get it done while we are in Nashville."  What an idiot I can be, it's down right embarrassing.  But I have started it and it's a bit more work than I had anticipated.  Looking at it I should have know I wouldn't have gotten it done in short order, by my eyes often betray my ability. Anyway, I took fabric and fibers thinking I would get it done, but "Egg Collector" is in the process but no where near finished.  
I think I didn't help matters by deciding I would like it over one instead of two.  But it is going to be cute once I get it done.  (UPDATE-still isn't finished-but next year it will be)

May 22, 2023

 I stitched "Joy & Good Cheer" from With Thy Needle and Thread back in November 2022, but just got around to finishing it this week, Thank God, and I love it.  I'm a big fan of so many of the designers and Brenda Gervais is one of them.  I did make my usual conversions on this as I love to stitch her charts over 2 on 20 ct. linen so the size of the finished product can be put on a sofa or a chair.  When stitching over 2 on 20 ct. I switch to #5 perle cotons and you would be amazed how fast they stitch up.  Since the recommended threads were from Weeks Dye Works, I just used their colors in the #5 perle coton.  But if I was out of one I don't mind finding a similar color from DMC.  The finished size of this pillow is 12-1/2" x 8-1/4"  when stitched on 20 ct. linen over 2.  


I have had a 4" banding in my stash since we got our first shipment from $$$$ and had been unable to find anything that would fit properly on it and was actually getting ready to give it back to Sara who had no idea I even took it.  And then Needle WorkPress released "And Be Kind to One Another."
I absolutely loved every stitch of this piece which I stitched over 1 and the banding I believe was around 29 stitches/inch.  I could not put this piece down.  And when working on banding I always allow enough banding so that I back it by just using the extra banding so it's an incredibly easy finish and the only real sewing I have to do is the top and there wasn't really that much to that.  I decided with this one I wanted Vernon to make me a spool which would have flat rims in the back so I could hang it easily on the way.  Then I hemmed the top, added loops and buttons further down the back for the loops to go over and that way this one spool can be changed out if I decide to hang anything seasonally.  Vernon, as always, delivered in short order.  Couldn't be happier with the end result.

Next I started stitching Lila's Studio "Summer Quaker."  OMG,  I stitch many things I like and a few that I simply adore.  This is in the second category.  I think many of you will love it and with all the new that came out in Nashville you might have missed this one.  So here she is and while she recommends 40 ct. linen over two, I'm stitching on 32 over one.  (I just love to make everything smaller).  I have to force myself to stop stitching on this so I can get models done for the shop so I have no idea how long it will take me, but I'm trying to dedicate at least 2 days a week to it....unfortunately I'm just beginning Polar Plunge from Hands on Design so last week I didn't get to put one stitch in on this one.  But... hopefully I'll be able to show you my version soon.  



I did get 2 of the Polar Plunge Series completed, "Polar Bear Peek" and  "Whale Hello There" and they are now ready for the shop.  Cathy has put a wonderful tutorial on her website to help you will the finishing of this group.  She also has part 4 & 5 released so all we need now is the 6th one which she hasn't released but will be sold through her so keep an eye out for it.  This is one of the fun stitches.  The polar bear has been my favorite because his face is so darn cute.  As always I made a couple of changes...I used red beads Mill Hill (62032) for the holly berries (at least that's what I'm calling them) and Mill Hill white petite beads for inside the ornament at the top.  Then I also left off all of the large crosses just because.  While Cathy painted the back of her ornaments, I just used the snowflake scrapbook paper.  I found you can get 3 pieces to fit out of each of the pages.  These are fast and easy to stitch and with the exception of the rick rack it was really easy to finish. I'm still deciding what I want to put on the ribbon...I'm thinking a snowflake charm but still unsure.  I may even decide in the end to cover the ribbon holes with the scrapbook paper and call it a day.  These are so cute.  Now all I have to

do is stitch the rest of the series.  
Well that's it for today.  I've got to clean the house before the cleaner comes tomorrow.  It's exhausting.  Hopefully I'll get a little stitching in tonight.  Working on a drum, really cute, can't wait to show you.  I should have it done by Sunday, and perhaps sooner depending on the cleaning.  

 



1 comment:

Stasi said...

Always love seeing a blog post from you Sally! You've been busy..great stitching and finishes all around!