Wednesday, June 18, 2014

OMG...how cute are these pin cushions!




Had to show these new needlepoint pieces that just came in to the shop.  They are pin cushions (obviously) and the shell is a real Murex(about 5" in width) straight from the ocean.  The designer also makes shell pins(2 come with each kit) to stick into the pin cushion once it's finished.  Too, too cute.  And this should be a real easy finish since you simply stuff the shell with fiber fill and glue the needlepoint into the shell.  This is definitely a one night project.   Sara is really getting into the needlepoint, thanks to Renee, who loves needlepoint and is always coming up with new stuff she finds.  Of course once you tell Sara about it she's off and running to the computer for information and then the orders start flowing.  At first I missed this part of the shop, but then I realized I don't have any of the headaches from the ordering so now when I'm in the shop I get to look at the new rack to see what's just come in and have fun like a regular customer...win, win!  I feel a little guilty because initially when I retired I said I'd help with ordering, etc., but so far I've done very little.  I think it's helpful to stay out of the way as much as possible because otherwise I start micro-managing and no one want that...trust me.  I was sitting on the porch the day I went in 6 hours too early (oh, God) and was so distracted by a dirty chair and a rocker whose "rockers" hadn't been painted I had to go inside and complain about it.  Sara just looked like "it's not my problem" but Mary acts like she's being blamed for anything that seems wrong so when I left a note on her computer explaining what was wrong she sprang into action, apologizing and getting the problem solved.  Then I saw Vernon who had just finished putting a new door on one of the units (looking like a wet rag from sweat) and when I started with him, he said, "I just brought the chair up and haven't finished with it yet. How about giving me a minute."  Just like a man, you wash the chair  and paint it before you bring it up to the porch.  Yeah, he's not too thrilled to run into me when I have that look in my eye either.  And then Brian (Mary's husband)  is the one who ends up wiping the chair down and getting one of the guys to paint the rocker, because Mary runs to him first.  I can't quite explain how thrilled the kids are when I go home and how equally thrilled when I stay home.  Yes this retirement is a win win for everyone.  I finally broke down yesterday when at 95 degrees I was too hot....and was forced to put on my A/C for the first time and now it probably won't be turned off until September.  Win Win for Delmarva Power.  I held out as long as I could...darn it..... I just loved 70 degrees with an ocean breeze.  For now that's just a memory.   I swore after the winter we had I wouldn't complain when it got hot...so I'm not complaining...I'm just telling.  So because I'm inside in a/c, I decided to work on the web sight again.  I'm still working on straightening out the web site.  This will be an on going battle for some time.  Feels good to be back working on it again though.  Just remember while I'm putting new things up first each day, there will be some pieces that aren't so new but fell off into the blogosphere and I'm just putting them back where they belong.  Well, I guess I'll get back to work.  Have a great day

3 comments:

Debbie B said...

Oh my gosh. I think I'm going to have to have one of those. Glad I'll be on my way down there in a few days. :)

Sally Rutka said...

Can't wait to see you. We'll be waiting.

Debbie B said...

Can't wait to get there. What thread do these little pin cushions use?