Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Well, we're into day 7 of the hottest temps in history

at least down here. I really can't say I can remember a time when the heat was this bad...the other day with the humidity it was 104...104 people, I'm pretty sure I could roast something just putting it in a pan outside. But, I'm thrilled to say I spend as little time as possible out there...I sit in "a/c" comfort in the shop or in my office, however, I do believe it has fried some brains out there. Either the people who are non-stitchers but fall through the door anyway, are suffering from fried brains or they are just stupid. You know I have to judge them! I'm pretty sure they are falling into both categories though...because I can tell some are just plain stupid! I had a first tonight though...I had a woman come in and ask if I would do her a favor...she sent her nieces and nephews on a scavenger hunt and their final destination was "Aunt Susan's favorite shop" and I was the lucky final destination. She asked if when the kids came in if I would hand them their prize...which I give her credit for thinking I was that honest because there was $40 dollars in the bag to be split among the 4 kids. Of course I said I would. I mean I am her favorite shop and well I thought it was really nice for her to do that with the kids. Of course when they came in with raised voices, etc., I started rethinking my decision, but they were nice kids regardless of the raised voices and after all they did find the shop. So that was my good deed for the day...and perhaps the last one I'll be doing for a while. After all, as the summer has progressed I've gotten rather cranky, if I do say so myself. My feet are killing me...by the end of the day they look like blown up balloons and not even my favorite sandal is giving me any comfort. But I'm so grateful for the a/c here and at home I hate to complain too much because I know things could be a lot worse. I haven't put a needle in fabric for a few days and that's making it worse as I know I should be stitching, but I got a new knitting book on Entrelac in and I'm just dying to knit...but too uncertain to begin. Pat's entrelac scarf was a true inspiration to me, so I've been harping on this since spring. The girls in the shop don't want to hear it anymore which is why I'm bringing it to you. I'm getting close to starting something though. Of course I said the same thing about knitting socks and I'm not even close to doing that. Crap someone just walked in with an ice cream cone...now you know they should know better...what the hell do they think the sign in the window about no food or drinks means. Honestly, this may just take me over the top....all I need is her dripping cone to leave ice cream all over the place. My night is starting to get worse. And this is the week I have a returning customer who arrives around 9:30 and wants to look for about 1 to 1/2 hours when she knows I close. I go through this every night with her for a week, every year. It never occurs to her that perhaps it would be better if she came in perhaps a few hours before we close...but then why would she want to do the right thing when she can annoy me for days. Yes, this is what I'm dealing with. And now the woman with the ice cream who I have to say could win the gold medal for eating it as slowly as possible, has made a purchase of yarn, which thrilled me because I thought she'd get out of here with her ice cream...but no...she is now looking around some more. Damn...she's driving me nuts, although that is a short drive at this point. Tomorrow I work a double in here so by this time tomorrow night I will have gone completely around the bend. Oh, yes..there is a God...she dripped ice cream inside the bag over her own yarn. Yes...life is sweet and so is revenge. But has she decided to give up the friggin cone...no..oh I'm wrong, she has asked where the trash can is and then promptly dropped the cone on the floor. But she then picked it up so I guess it's alright except there sits my Salty Yarns bag in the trash...damn woman. And, of course, I did have to mop the floor from the spills which I guess she didn't feel the need to clean up. The only thing that is salvaging the situation for me is she got it all over herself as well. Everyone else tonight has really been nice and most have left me alone, although that really isn't a requirement. Last night I was run ragged helping people. But tonight we're sort of self serve which has been nice because it's allowed me to get the new stuff and reorders out. We got in the New Mill Hill Christmas kits and we got Bent Creek's Christmas Mantle back in. Everytime we get these Mill Hill beaded kits in I fall in love with one of them, start to take one home and then remember how much bead work there is and put it right back on the rack...Thank God! But the "Believe Santa" is really tempting...I'm hoping I can resist. We also got in the new Maureen Appleton kits last week, and I've been eyeballing one of them. I'm still working on Bent Creek's Quaker Noel and still enthusiastic because I have the tray frame sitting here urging me on. Of course I think I mentioned the last 3 days I've been too busy to stitch and tonight frustration has kept me from it. At home I'm working on the Betsy Morgan Toy Chest...still and probably forever. Although Paola has finished hers and is going to bring it to Jamboree when she comes and even insinuated that she would help me if I needed help putting mine together. I feel she's being very optomistic thinking I would get it done, but I'm going to give it a go and perhaps I'll surprise myself. I'm so far behind though on everything I'm not sure this is going to happen. But at least I didn't take on another class like Debbie, Sara and the rest who are taking Jackie's class next month. I know my limitations, plus I already have 4 of Jackie's class kits not finished...only one has been stitched completely and the other 3 I haven't even started. Does this sound familiar to you? I know there are many of us with this happening so I don't feel alone, but I sure would like to get perhaps one of them finished this year. Plus a thousand other pieces and I've got to start on my Christmas ornament exchange that I do with Theresa Wood at Jamboree. Last year I waited for the Just Cross Stitch ornament book so I would be certain to stitch an ornament she didn't have (hopefully) and I had it done in plenty of time so I was thrilled. But I'm starting to stress already about it so I've been checking out a few things. Oh, my God, I hear the Trollbead's being moved around. I feel so sorry for the girls working in Sea Trader...this has been a Trollbead summer since we've had them on sale and I'm telling you they are kept busy each day with these. We'll all be thrilled when they are finally gone and we don't have to fool with them. It's exhausting! And I've only had to do it a couple of days. And unlike the girls who really do it correctly, I just pull out the trays and let them have a free for all. I use to really work with people on their bracelets, but no longer. I'm out of the trollbead mood apparently. I still love them and believe you me I've got a few bracelets, but I'm done measuring, making bracelets, etc. All I want to do now is sit on my big butt. Oh, my tonight could be a first...we have less than 15 minutes and the annual lady who loves to come in 15 minutes before closing hasn't shown up. I hope I didn't just jinx myself. Please, please keep her out of her tonight and tomorrow night. Tomorrow with my working a double I won't be staying here one minute longer than I have to. O.K. I've locked the door...a few seconds, O.K., a few minutes early, but a necessity I assure you. I can breath easier now even though we have a shop full of people because I know she won't be here walking around like she's got all night. And while I wait for the people to evacuate the shop I shall say good night to you all. I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow and that the heat doesn't do you in!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Hi. I get such a kick out of reading your blog. I soooooo hear you regarding the 'public' that we deal with daily. My husband and I have a coffee shop and run into the same sorts of interesting people, lol! have a great day!....