Friday, January 21, 2011

We missed another storm....but it's freezing down here

When I left for work last Friday it was 41 degrees and sunny, it was beautiful. When I left work for the grocery store it had dropped to 37 degrees, but it was 5:00 p.m. so it made sense, but when I woke up at 2:00 a.m it was 41 degrees that didn't make sense, but anyway with temps in the 40's we had a rain event. I hope where ever you are you fared as well.

This is another Christmas gift, this one from Debbie Liming. It's it the cutest thing. I thought it was so funny I got the miniature cup and saucer with my initials on it (shown on an earlier blog) and then received this miniature Polishware pitcher with the quaker icon on top. Love them both. I'm not sure if either person realized I love miniatures. I was a collector of doll house miniatures...have a massive house (of course not completely finished), so these two items were perfect for me. I have such a wonderful collection of needlework smalls that have been given to me over the years. I keep them all in my stitching room so I can look at them often, but never use any of them. Do you? I've been curious to see if anyone uses their smalls. I'd be so afraid something would happen to them. I've given Sara a few items over the years and I have to say she does use hers. She gave me a little needlebook to commemorate our time at the Moss Creek retreat and asked a few times why I never used it. (she doesn't understand my just displaying these things) I was given a set of beautiful mesh bags by Beth Jernigan one year for Christmas and one of the bags in the set was small, perhaps 3x4. So I put Sara's piece in that and I carry that around in my stitching tote....I don't really like to take it out for fear it will get dirty, but at least I can show Sara I do carry it. It did come in handy last weekend when Greg needed an extra needle and I pulled that out (thought for a minute I'd just go pull a pack of needles off the rack so I didn't have to handle my gift, but was too lazy to get up so I pulled my needlebook out of the mesh bag and gingerly extracted a needle and put it immediately back in the bag and back in the tote). Good news, with it only seeing daylight for approximately 1 minutes it was unscathed and is residing back in my tote where it is safe, clean and as good as new.

We had a glorious weekend two weekends ago. It was the 2nd annual Camp Wannastitch held at the Clarion. 60 or 61 ladies were in attendance and many of them made their way down to Salty Yarns. It began Friday evening when Joanne Thweatt came in and began her shopping. Joanne has been a customer for a few years but is only able to get here once a year so it's always good to see her. She brought in show and tell, one of Mirabilia's mermaids and it was one designs mermaids better and Joanne stitched it beautifully, and then had it framed beautifully. I'm sorry I didn't have my camera with me so you could it enjoy it as well. She left to find her friends who were a little late and a few other campers made it in before I closed for the night. We arrived early on Saturday and the stitchers were there waiting for us. We spent a busy day cutting fabric, finding patterns and enjoying this group of women who were friendly, patient and and knowledgeable about stitching. No questions about string with this group. Sunday we had more of the stitchers in, plus our group, Linda, Candi, Crystal and the newest member of the Stitch 'n Bitch group, Cheyenne, Crystal's 6 month old baby. She was better behaved than some of the adults we get in the store in the summer, and she's adorable. Greg arrived along with Ruth Goglia and Stacy Stinson...oh and our Connie arrived to talk for a while. Yes, we had a full house on Sunday. Then on Monday it was back to Sara and I, and the last of the stitchers from camp stopped by on their way home. Camp Wannastitch was over for another year and we will miss the ladies. Thanks for stopping by Ladies. This weekend the bitter cold did not keep stitchers away, thank God. And of course, our regulars showed up on Sunday and Jennifer joined in as well. My panic started on Sunday as Sara and Vernon were heading off to Jamaica and Michael is staying with me for 4 nights. As you know I've been alone now for 10 years and enjoying the freedom that comes with being alone. So Michael overnight is one thing....4 nights...well I'm not sure. As many of you know my grandchildren live right here, 3 of them right here on the property and Michael lives 2 blocks away. So I see my grandchildren every day (or close to it). I know how lucky I am. I can't imagine not seeing them all the time. When I asked my cousin, who is my age, how she entertained her grandsons for a week at a time she said "you have to remember Sally, I only see them maybe once a month so they have my full attention when they are here and I schedule activities, you see yours everyday and it's very different, plus you work." So I know those who don't see their grandchildren everyday wish they had them closer. Anyway, Sunday night went all right. After work Michael and I stopped by "Fat Daddy's" and got dinner to bring home. That took care of an hour of our time. Then we tackled reading. Michael has to read 1/2 hour every day. While I love to read and do it all the time, Michael isn't quite so thrilled. So reading is more of a chore to him, and no matter how many little talks I've had with him he still isn't thrilled. Nothing is more painful than trying to get a squirming boy to pay attention! Wow, how do teachers do it? After about 15 minutes I'm ready to pack it in and proclaim this job undo able. Fortunately he did pay attention and came home Monday with the news he had passed his test and received an 80 on the book we finished....a silent cheer folks, please! Now of course, we have to move on to a new book and while he brought several books home, I knew they were too simple and would have to go back. The one book he brought that was acceptable to me was about Kit Carson's can imagine how thrilled he was with that one. After reading a half hour and quizzing him on it we decided it would be best if he returned that book and got something he's be interested in. God, this is painful. Vernon had set up Skype so they could talk to Michael from Jamaica...another thing that didn't work, so after a Michael meltdown I let him play with my new Mac, something he was dying to do. At first I said he couldn't play with it, but after the meltdown I said whatever you want to do....just do, but for God's sake stop the hysterics. He also had a meltdown doing his school work because he asked me what a word meant and I said, "let's look it up in a dictionary". That's what my father always said, and I understand it's better to show him where to find the answers than to just give them to him. But that process lead to a meltdown and I decided it may be best if I just give him the answer and let Sara teach him about the dictionary. My days of teaching a child anything are apparently over. Michael was dying to play with my new Mac so that took up the rest of the night....after homework of course. Michael is so like his mother...once he is done with his homework, he is done. So after checking it and finding a few errors I tried to get him to focus on the corrections but he had already moved on. I thank God I don't have to do this every night. Thankfully he has homework academy after school so by the time he gets home and we go out to will be close to bed time. I took him to the Sunset Grille (my favorite) tonight and I wish you could see what this child orders. He got the soft shell crab sandwich, the crab dip, and an order of Asian wings. When they came, he ate about 2 crackers with dip and then proclaimed he was saving the rest for his school lunch. Then he ate 3 of the wings and proclaimed the rest were being saved for his school lunch and one soft shell crab (2 come on the sandwich) and you guessed it, the other was for his lunch. I'm telling you, this kid is eating better than most at school. What ever happened to peanut butter and jelly? Well, it's 3:16 a.m. and I have to get to sleep so we can get to school on time. So, thanks for stopping by, enjoy your day and I'll talk more later.

No comments: