I'm happy to report that I finally got around to finishing something. Honestly, I've about driven myself crazy with my lack of discipline that has come with the pandemic. Before I was finishing each project as soon as I was done stitching, at least for the past year. However, one of the projects I finished yesterday was from 2015 ... oops, but in my defense, I was having a terrible time understanding the directions. Now the directions were very clear, typed out and any normal person could have put this together in a minute, I'm sure, but I was not there. Which is why I kept putting it back in the finishing tote unfinished. But circumstances made me have to do it yesterday. Sara's birthday was yesterday, May 12th. I got notice that the items I ordered for her about 10 days ago, which would have been here in plenty of time prior to the Pandemic, would not be arriving until May 13. At first, I panicked just a tad, it's not like I could go shopping, So I thought I should finish a piece of stitching and make it her birthday gift and I could give her the things I purchased when they arrive. Plus I had a couple of things I was saving for a goodie bag for her so at least she'd have something to open. First let me say that I loved this project, in fact, Sara originally saw it being offered by a group, could have been Shining Needle, and asked me if I would like to have it. I took one look and said, OMG yes! I loved it from the start, loved stitching it and the bargello heart is a favorite of mine of all time. The project is called Sweet Heart of Mine by Barbara Jackson.
This was such a wonderful stitch and I enjoyed everything about the design. My finishing experience was of my own making. Barbara's directions were clear, but for some reason, I was blocked from getting it. So in the end, I had to just finish it the way I normally finish things and I'm pleased with the outcome. FYI, the original version has the scissor sheath finished differently and while I was on the road to doing it separately, just like the needle book which is done as instructed, I liked it attached so changed that part of the finish. The needlebook, etui were done as close to Barbara's instructions as I could personally understand. In any event, done and gifted. Because I was set up for finishing, I decided to finish Erica Michael's Needle Berry as well. I have fallen in love with her berry designs and have a stack of them lined up to stitch. I chose the Silk Berry patterns but instead of using the silk gauze, included with the pattern, I stitch over one on linen. I usually use 32 ct. linen as it's easier for me to see. I would love to be able to stitch on 36 ct. over one, but that became too arduous for me so I backed it down to 32 and love that as well. I choose the silk pattern charts because they are packed with more detail than the linen charts. I didn't realize that at first until Stasi Buhrman and I both did the Scary berry last year. Stasi did the silk version and when she brought it to me to see I was amazed at the amount of detail which mine did not have. So now I always stitch the silk design on linen. I stitched using the colors listed and love it.
Today I move on to another finish, the Quarantine Project by Brenda Gervais. I loved this the minute I saw it and thought, how appropriate that I have a stitched reminder of such a tumultuous time in our lives. Anyway, I'll give you an update once I have it finished. I started my next new project, Jenny Bean "For the Parlor" from Shakespeare Peddler. The first section is almost completed and I'm loving doing this one. I picked a banding which is approx. 8" wide to stitch and it fits beautifully. Of course, I'm still working on about 5 other projects at the same time, and when I saw the new Plum Street charts I had to have My Peaceful Home and A New Constellation. I am forcing myself not to start those until I get a couple more finishes out of what's already started. Well, that's what's been happening in my nest. Please stay safe and wear a mask when appropriate. I want to see all of you when this is finally behind us.